Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Wiki World

On Wikipedia I looked up a very timely topic, "Lunar Eclipse". I thought the time lapse movie of an eclipse earlier this year was interesting and I was surprised to see that there was already an article about the August 28, 2007 event. It doesn't get more recent than that!

In WikiHow I read the spotlight article "How to Defeat a My Space Addiction" since it's relevant to my Web 2.0 Odyssey. The article was informative and the tips seemed logical and helpful.

To make a comparison with what I read in Wikipedia, I then looked up lunar eclipse and read an article on "How to View an Eclipse". It was mostly about the precautions necessary in watching a solar eclipse with only the following brief mention of a lunar eclipse: "Lunar eclipses, which occur when the Earth gets between the Moon and the Sun, causing the MOON to eclipse, are perfectly safe to view with nothing on your eyes."

Moving on to Wetpaint, I decided to look up something in popular culture. Since I just saw the movie The Bourne Ultimatum, I searched for information on Jason Bourne. What appeared were synopses, reviews, discussions of the 3 Bourne movies.

In the past I have used Wikipedia to research popular culture topics. When working on some "Lemony Snicket" trivia, I looked up some of the answers in Wikipedia. Before seeing the latest "Harry Potter" movie I used Wikipedia to referesh my memory on the preceeding films in the series. I will continue to use this source personally for popular culture topics. Professionally, this would not be my chosen 1st source. I might refer to it later on in a search and then use the information only if it agreed with my other sources.

I had not used the other wikis prior to this exercise, but I think I might consult WikiHow again. My impression is that it breaks down directions in clearly stated steps. Again, I would be more inclined to use this for popular culture topics and look to other sources for scholarly research.

On our STDL wiki, I added to the "Favorite Things" section. The directions made the process very straighforward and easy.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I like WikiHow too. Nice!