Monday, August 27, 2007

Podcasts

The two articles provide a brief explanation of podcasting, what it is and what is involved. Jo Ann Sampson's Launching into the Podcast/Vodcast Universe (Computers in Libraries, November/December 2006, http://www.infotoday.com ) is a step by step log of the OCLS experience of getting into podcasting. Thank you to Jo Ann for sharing her experience with those of us thinking of taking the same journey!
After reading Meredith Farkas' An Outlet for Creativity (American Libraries, March 2007), I knew that I had to listen to at least one of the Cheshire PL teen podcasts! I particularly like the stress in the article on "participants' sense of ownership", and "trusting the patrons...giving them control over the product." This may not always be easy to do, but it truly is important.

On the Kankakee Public Library Web site, I listened to the podcast Verla Kay and Her Books for Children @ http://www.lions-online.org/podcasts/verlakay.html. As a Youth Services librarian, I am familiar with some of her books. I enjoy author visits and was eager to see how this type of program would play out in this medium. I am impressed; both the author's personality and the contents of her books come across very clearly. Podcasting enables those who were present to re-live their experience and those who could not attend to share in the event.

For my 2nd podcast, I chose another author visit: Speaking Volumes: Interview with Seth Mnookin, Author of Feeding the Monster: How Money, Smarts, and Nerve Took a Team to
the Top Part 1 An Inside look at the Red Sox Managment (with host Cinda Donovan)
done by the Hingham Public Library (MA) @ http://www.hinghamlibrary.org/SethMnookin1.htm. This short podcast includes video. When I have the time to do so, I am eager to watch Part 2 An Inside Look at the Red Sox Players.

My Google search then led me to Cheshire Public Library (mentioned in the article An Outlet for Creativity) where I listened to the most recent teen post @ http://ia340940.us.archive.org/1/items/cpl_podcast_episode_13_06_06_07/episode13.mp3.
This episode features teens reading their poetry and fiction, announcements, and a farewell from the teens who have been creating the podcasts. The teens' creativity and enjoyment is very evident. It's a good way to get the teens involved!


Finally, I listened to a review/discussion of the children's book Enemy Pie@ http://www.justonemorebook.com/2007/08/24/a-recipe-for-resolution-enemy-pie. This site, "is a thrice-weekly podcast which promotes and celebrates literacy and great children’s books". It is searchable by category, author, illustrator and invites comments.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

I like to listen to podcasts when doing something else. Looks like you are almost done. Keep going.